"Healing doesn't mean being restored to who you were before your loss, it means becoming who you want to be after."
-Rachel Tenpenny Crawford, Founder
Set on the majestic Emerald Princess cruise ship, Heal by Choice Cruise Retreat is an 8-day and 7-night all-inclusive heart-healing retreat for those broken and overwhelmed by loss.
This cruise will be hosted by teacher, speaker, writer, and Heart Stewardship Curriculum creator Rachel Crawford and will sail from the port of Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera, November 5-12, 2017.
As a Heal by Choice Cruise Retreat attendee, you will participate in the powerful Heart Stewardship Program, a 20+ hour heart-healing educational course that will teach you how to emotionally process your loss in a practical and tangible way becoming a proactive participant in your healing journey. You will have access to daily seminars, elective workshops, specialized yoga, Teamotions emotional well-being teas, and a caring staff to guide you through every aspect of the retreat.
When Rachel's daughters died in 2008, she quickly realized that healing after loss isn't innate. She didn't automatically know how to do it, she had to learn. Unfortunately, she had to learn the hard way, experiencing what didn't work before finding what did. She vowed to make a better way for others to put the pieces of their hearts back together again. Heal by Choice Cruise Retreat is that better way.
If your heart is broken and you are desperate for relief from your pain and you wish to experience joy and peace again after profound loss - this is your opportunity. Join us to experience the hope and heart-healing waiting for you.
The Heart Stewardship Program is the first of it's kind to focus on the whole you - the person who experienced the loss - not the person, relationship, or thing you lost. This dynamic shift in perspective allows for heart-centered healing that lasts.
Your heart will be treated with the sensitivity it deserves and protected from unhelpful motivational pep-talks, cliches, and platitudes. You will not be told everything happens for a reason, that your loss is good in disguise, or that your pain can be remedied with gratitude and positive thinking. Nor will you be told this had to happen to you to make you who you are meant to be.
Your pain is real and will be validated throughout the retreat. Grief is not the result of a lack of perspective nor a symptom of emotional weakness. There is nothing wrong with you for hurting. As a matter of fact, your pain is a reflection of everything that is right with you. It shows your deep capacity to love and ability to form bonds and connections. Your love, however, doesn't have to sentence you to a lifetime of hurting. The Heart Stewardship Program will show you how to restore healing to your broken heart in a way that makes sense emotionally, intellectually, physically and relationally.
The Heart Stewardship Program will teach you:
- How to give yourself permission to heal.
- How to get to know your heart, not just your grief.
- How to take responsibility for your heart and become proactive in your healing, instead of reactive.
- How to define and practice self-care rooted in self-love.
- How to care for yourself differently during each phase of grief (withering, surviving, reviving, and thriving).
- How to expand your emotional vocabulary to get acquainted with your heart and give it a voice.
- How to identify common grief myths, misunderstandings, and false beliefs that interfere with healing.
- How to differentiate between healing, catharsis, and temporary relief behaviors.
- How to tell the truth about your heart, not just your pain.
- How to resolve lingering pain, anger, and regret.
- How to resolve guilt and resentment.
- How to implement practical tools and skills to help you take care of your whole self and cultivate a healing lifestyle: this includes the importance of rest, nutrition, exercise, and relationships in your healing.
What sets Heal by Choice Cruise Retreats apart from other grief retreats and support groups is our commitment to a heart-centered approach to healing. You will learn how tend to your heart for a lifetime of lasting healing. Your heart will be the focus of every part of this retreat and with that includes what is part of your experience - and what is not.
As a result, certain activities will not be part of your retreat experience. Rachel believes that to experience something different we can't keep doing the same ineffective things. Real healing means letting go of the same old same old to pursue a better way.
Some traditional activities that will be intentionally missing from the retreat are:
- NO group story sharing: telling your story is important only if you are comfortable to do so and willing to go beyond the traditional support group model of repetitive telling and listening. Your story is still being written. Rachel wants to help you write the next chapter by telling the story of your heart, not just the story of your pain. As you build relationships with other retreat attendees, however, you may want to share your story during your personal free time and listen to the stories of others. This is both allowed and encouraged. Feel free to bring photos or mementos of your lost loved one with you if you feel comfortable to do so. Sharing your story and to what extent will always be at your full discretion and is never mandatory.
- NO memorializing the dead: Rachel believes your lost loved one is honored more in your healing than your hurting therefore the emphasis will be on healing your heart to empower you with the ability to choose how you will remember and connect to your lost loved one after you find healing for your heart, not instead of.
- NO attempting to connect with the dead "on the other side": this idea is controversial at best and hurtful at worst. It implies that unless you can reconnect with your lost loved one healing is not possible. Such hopelessness is the antithesis of Heal by Choice Cruise Retreat. Healing is available to anyone willing to choose it and do the work to connect to their hearts and give them a voice. Healing is not just available to the lucky, it is available to the intentional.
- NO being grouped or segregated by loss type: These activities, while common in today's grief culture, work against cultivating healing that lasts. We are not only understood and cared about only by those who have had similar loss. We ALL have the capacity to comfort one another because we care, not because we understand. No loss is exactly the same anyway therefore compassion for one another is what links us, not common experience. A broken heart is a broken heart. You deserve to be supported by all without qualification.
Have you tried traditional methods of healing from loss and are still hurting? Have you grown frustrated with your support group or therapist? Have you been afraid to try anything because it seems hopeless? It's time to find the relief and comfort you desperately need on a Heal by Choice Cruise Retreat. Join us for an experience like no other to cultivate heart-healing you never thought possible.
Remove yourself from the demands and distractions of life for one week to focus entirely on healing your heart. The progress you will make in one week will surpass what you can accomplish in months, and sometimes even years, of traditional therapy and support groups. You'll start feeling better the moment you set foot on the ship.
Rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul while you spend time in the peace and beauty of the Pacific ocean with full access to the ships amenities including the spa, gym, pools, and restaurants. Allow the ship to take care of your every need while you tend to your heart and begin to relieve your pain and heal.
Mid-week, enjoy beautiful Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Put your feet in the sand, bask in the sun, and foster relationships with other attendees during fun and relaxing days off the ship.
Evening specialized yoga created for the retreat will help you achieve restful sleep and Teamotions emotional well-being teas will be available throughout the retreat for your comfort and enjoyment.
Join us to restore your mind, body, and soul with fresh air, sunshine, and the sound of the ocean as you make the most important decision you'll ever make; to heal your heart. You are worth it. Your heart is worth it.
You don't have to walk this journey alone. If your heart is broken and you are desperate for relief and want healing, join Rachel and others like her who have chosen the same. You will find an accepting, supportive, and encouraging group of people who want healing too. We will make sure you are cared for the entire time - beginning to end - and beyond!
Healing awaits! We have a place for you. Come as you. You are welcome here. Your heart is safe here.